By Foteini Lioliou,
Christmas is the season that all of us have been waiting for impatiently. It is the season that brings people together and the season that brings happiness and hope to everyone. Feeling the Christmas spirit is the number one priority for those who actually want to enjoy that time of the year. That is to say, our Christmas fans have some tasks to do and not to do so as to have the ultimate Christmas experience.
Here is a list of the things that people ought to do during Christmas. I promise you it is not as long as people’s wish list to Santa Claus.
- The most famous Christmas tradition that all of us should follow is decorating the Christmas tree. Christmas decorations and ornaments are particularly beautiful. They make your home look outstanding and they boost the Christmas spirit.
- Of course, there is no Christmas tree without Christmas gifts underneath. This time of the year people have the tendency to exchange gifts with their beloved ones. That is why, on this special day, they make sure to leave a present for them to find under the decorated Christmas tree. Others tend to keep this tradition because of the popular Christmas figure – that is Santa Claus – who leaves presents for the kids in order to make their hearts fill with joy.
- Christmas is not Christmas without any Christmas movies. The best idea for this season is to just relax on the couch, drink hot chocolate and watch a Christmas film. Home Alone and The Polar Express are classics, but my suggestion would be The Christmas Chronicles that children can watch, too!
- If you are not a big fan of this season’s movies, do not worry! I have the greatest solution for you and that is going for a walk to see the wonderfully decorated shops. Even if you pay a visit to the local cafeteria, you will see that the owner has gave his or her best self to make this place look sparkly – and definitely unrecognizable – for Christmas.
- Is it Christmas if you do not listen to Christmas songs? Even before the beginning of December “Last Christmas” and other Christmas songs are playing on repeat. Not to mention that Christmas carols are sung especially for that occasion. Now, prepare your vocal cords because you are about to sing all of the carols and songs that you know. This is one of the things that will for sure make you feel the X-mas spirit.
- One of the things that you must do this Christmas and every other Christmas is spend the day with the people you love. Try to reunite with your family or friends. Be with them on this special day. Give and receive love and happiness. Feel their gratitude for being with you.
- Let us not forget that on this day some people are having a hard time paying off their debts. That is to say all the generous hearts out there should contribute to charity if possible.
Let me remind you that there is also a list of don’ts. That is the one below:
- First of all, do not allow yourself to overwork. This is the season of relaxation and not the season of taking all the responsibilities. You must take it easy and remind yourself that there is always another day to do fulfill a task.
- Do not overdo it with the Christmas gifts. There is no point in squandering all of your money just to buy expensive presents. Remember that it is the gesture that counts not the gift.
- Avoid staying indoors all the time. Go outside, watch the snow, watch people singing the carols, travel to a new place and visit a new shop. Do not lay in your couch all day without doing anything fun and exciting.
- Avoid letting yourself feel depressed. Christmas should not be the season of sadness rather the season of happiness and joy. Christmas brings light to the darkness. Christmas is the season of hope and on this day everyone shall count their blessings. It is not the season that allows you to feel miserable. You allow it and you can change it.
- On this day the last thing that you should do is scroll through social media. Put your phone away even if it is for a couple of hours and enjoy yourself and the time that you spend with your family and friends. Do not get carried away by using your mobile.
- Lastly, do not forget to send a “Merry Christmas” card to those who want to hear from you and to those who want to see you thriving.
Finally, the last thing that I have to mention is that I totally recommend that you follow all the do’s and the don’ts so as to have a memorable and exceptional Christmas evening. All I can wish for you is Merry Christmas from the bottom of my heart.
- What is Christmas spirit. blogs.scientificamerican.com. Available here
- The spirit of Christmas. thisibelieve.org. Available here